In 1570 two Augustinian friars, Alonzon Jiménez and Juan Orta, both of which were accompanied by Captain Enrique de Guzmán, reached Hibalong, a small fishing village near the mouth of Ginangra River. They planted the cross and erected the first chapel in Luzon. It was from this village that Ibalong, referring to the whole region, came to be. Moving inland thorugh the northwest,they passed by the territory now known as Pilar, before they reached Camalig, Albay.




The early towns established here were:







The province was eventually separated from Albay on October 17, 1894 and adopted the name Sorsogon. The town of Sorsogon was also selected as its capital.

Home   Short Description   Geography   Population   Language   Culture